Thursday, March 21, 2013

Simple, but Not Easy: focusing on what you can control

Hello Everyone,

Simple, but easy: focusing only on what you can control.

What are things that athletes can NOT control?
- Height
- Skeletal Structure
- Whether your teammate plays at 100%
- Whether your teammate shows-up to train and prepare to be better

What are things that athletes can control?
- Strength
- Speed
- Power
- Conditioning Level
- Whether you, yourself, play at 100%
- Whether you, yourself, show-up to train and prepare to be the best you can be

Again it is simple to understand. No one has figured out a way to grow taller.  No one can completely  control another person's actions or lack there of.

But it isn't easy to let those uncontrollables go. "I wish I was taller", "I wish my teammates would play up to their potential", "I wish my teammates would just show-up and become better." All thoughts like that are wasted thoughts. 

Instead, focus only on what you can control! "I'm going to show-up and train to the best of my ability today",  "I'm going to work with experts that can make me faster, stronger, and more powerful" , "I'm going to be in great condition for tryouts. I'm going to focus on myself and what I can do to be the best I can be."

When you put your energy and focus onto yourself and the things you can control, you will be amazed at how much faster you obtain your goals...and how much happier you'll be!

Keep Training!
Coach Amanda Kephart and Akron General Sports Performance

No comments: