Tuesday, June 29, 2010

You don't get good at anything by accident

Hello Everyone,

When I ask an athlete, "What abilities do you need to improve to become a better athlete?". The responses are consistently,
  • I need to get faster
  • I need to get more physical
  • I need to jump higher
  • I need to get stronger
  • I need to become quicker on my feet
  • I need to be more flexible/mobile
  • I need to play better on defense (or offense or both!)
  • I need to be more explosive
And the list goes on.
Then I ask, "How are you going to get what you need? Who is going to teach you how to be ______? When are you going to practice ______? How are you going measure you development of _______?"
The answer is usually a blank stare or an "I don't know".

Plain and simple, YOU DON'T GET GOOD AT ANYTHING BY ACCIDENT. If you are the slowest athlete on your team you are not going to magically wake-up one morning and be faster. Just like you spend countless hours on your sport skills, such as learning your plays, practicing your jump shot, improving your swing, fine-tuning your dribbling, etc. You need to make time to address your athletic skills (power, strength, speed, and agility).

If you truly desire to become a better athlete, you must practice your athletic skills.

AGSP athletes practice their power, strength, speed, agility, flexibility, mobility, and coordination every time they walk through the front door.

AGSP athletes learn how to become better athletes by learning better movement. The skills they learn here do not stay here, they are empowering and go wherever the athlete goes.

AGSP athletes are becoming more complete, turning weaknesses into strengths. Plain and simple AGSP athletes DON'T GET GOOD AT ANYTHING BY ACCIDENT, THEY ARE TRAINING WITH A PURPOSE.

Keep Training!
Coach Amanda Kephart

No comments: